White leather driving helmet in original box, dated 1930-1939. Found in box in small downstairs storeroom in the Simpson's Gloves factory, 1989.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.

Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.

Physical Description

White leather bicycle or driving helmet. Has chin strap with metal buckles, ear flaps have metal press stud, hole overear allowed for ventilation and extra hearing. Soft cloth lining. ,1 helmet .2&.3 cardboard box.

More Information