Summary

Alternative Name(s): Bicycle Cap, Bicycle Hat, Cyclist's Helmet

Brown leather bicycle helmet, post 1924. Found in large storeroom downstairs at the Simpson's Gloves factory.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.

Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.

Physical Description

Brown leather helmet, with fur lining to neck; dark green cotton lining in crown. Peak and neck flap. Two flaps over ear holes close with press studs. Double leather. Chin strap buckles to extension of neck.

More Information