Summary

Pale blue leather cap. Stiffened peak with press studs to brim of cap. Made circa 1930-1939, it was found in large downstairs storeroom at Simpson's Glove Factory.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.

Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.

Physical Description

Pale blue leather cap. Stiffened peak with press studs to brim of cap. Adjustable leather strap at back of head with metal buckle. Tartan cloth lining; plastic inner head interior.

More Information