Alternative Name(s): Helmet

Brown leather rugby union ear protector. Made circa 1930 - 1939 in Richmond. It was found in small storeroom downstairs at Simpson's Glove Factory in 1989.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.

Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.

Physical Description

Brown leather rugby union ear protector, lined with calico. Tied under the chin with double brown tapes. Helmet is padded.

More Information