Box of nails manufactured by Sidney Cooke Fasteners Pty.Ltd, circa 1970-1990. They were found on a shelf of the carpenter's bench in Area E3 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.

Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.

Physical Description

Cardboard box with black lettering on a green background, containing two galvanised steel clout tacks and one bullet head nail. On the lid of the box is an adhesive label with product information. In the centre of this label is the vendor's label with the item's price. The donor's father has identified the box's contents in black texta colour on a strip of adhesive tape.

More Information