Alternative Name(s): Safety Hat, Safety Helmet

White, hard plastic helmet shaped in one piece with front brim, with orange ear muffs attached. Labelled 'Board of Works'. The earmuffs are labelled 'Protector/Sureguard'.

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) was established by Act of the Victorian Parliament in 1890 and came into operation in March 1891. The MMBW was responsible for ensuring that the Melbourne area had 'an adequate supply of pure water and an efficient sanitation system'. The MMBW was responsible for the construction of the Spotswood Sewerage Pumping Station, built between 1893 and 1897, and the Werribee Treatment Works as part of Melbourne's first centralised sewerage system. Most of Melbourne's larger water supply dams were built by MMBW during the period after 1900.

The MMBW became Melbourne Water with the proclamation of the Melbourne Water Act in July 1992. MMBW traded as Melbourne Water from 1 September 1991.

Physical Description

Cream/white hard plastic helmet. Shaped hat with short visor. Brim all around is curved up. A raised strip runs along the centre of the crown. Black logo on the front above the visor. A black plastic strip attached at the front with coiled wire just above the brim. Hooked around the brim on each side are strips of black plastic. Orange plastic ear muffs are attached. The muffs are padded with black rubber and insulated with foam. The underside is reinforced with for the head with opaque plastic and six grey straps.

More Information