Yellow ceramic electric jug made in Brighton, Melbourne, by Haigh Resistances Pty Ltd, in 1949. It was donated to Museum Victoria by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria, and has an accompanying State Electricity Commission Approval Board label.

In the early- to mid-20th century, manufacturers such as Haigh Resistances began to spring up around Melbourne to supply the growing demand for electrical appliances. Electricity use had exploded in the 1920s and 1930s, and by 1950 nearly all Melbourne homes were wired for electricity. However, many Melburnians limited their electrical use to lighting and a few small appliances, such as this jug. It was only in the 1950s that 'white goods' - electric fridges, washing machines and stoves - become standard household items.

Physical Description

1: Pale yellow ceramic electric jug, pear-shaped, with ceramic lid which has thumb-grips and ridges along the centre. The lid is fastened to the jug with one screw and slides across to open the jug. Base of the jug has sticker . 2: Accompanying S.E.C. Approvals Board label has AT/GX/01 and manufacturer's name and address.

More Information