Aluminium electric 'Alanware' kettle with blue wooden handle, made by Chesters Trading Company in Melbourne, about 1946. The electric plug connection is located on the kettle's lid. It was donated to Museum Victoria by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria, and is accompanied by an SEC Approvals Board tag and a guarantee tag.

In the early- to mid-20th century, small manufacturers such as Chesters Trading Company began to spring up around Melbourne to supply the growing demand for electrical appliances. Electricity use had exploded in the 1920s and 1930s, and by 1950 nearly all Melbourne homes were wired for electricity. However, many Melburnians limited their electrical use to lighting and a few small appliances, such as this kettle. It was only in the 1950s that 'white goods' - electric fridges, washing machines and stoves - become standard household items.

Physical Description

Metal electric kettle, circular body with small spout. Electric element located on lid. Electric connection also on lid. Blue, wooden handle.

More Information