Alternative Name(s): Safety Hat, Safety Helmet

Yellow plastic hard hat made by Tuff Master. It was issued to Board of Works field workers for protection on work sites before 1988.

The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) was established by Act of the Victorian Parliament in 1890 and came into operation in March 1891. The MMBW was responsible for ensuring that the Melbourne area had 'an adequate supply of pure water and an efficient sanitation system'. The MMBW was responsible for the construction of the Spotswood Sewerage Pumping Station, built between 1893 and 1897, and the Werribee Treatment Works as part of Melbourne's first centralised sewerage system. Most of Melbourne's larger water supply dams were built by MMBW during the period after 1900.

The MMBW became Melbourne Water with the proclamation of the Melbourne Water Act in July 1992. MMBW traded as Melbourne Water from 1 September 1991.

Physical Description

Yellow plastic hard hat. The crown is rounded with a raised section for added protection. Small rounded brim running through front centre. Black inscription of front. Olive green and cream strips of towelling elastic stretches across the brim, attached on sides with white plastic fasteners. Underside of hat forms a barriere between head and hat. An opaque plastic band runs around the edge padded with brown foam. Three strips of grey plastic in inside of helmet.

More Information