Screw box for cutting wooden threads. Made by Robert Marples Hermitage Works, Sheffield, circa 1900-1940.

Used in the woodturning business of Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, 1970-1990, and previously in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. The business made a wide range of wooden products, including tables and architectural mouldings, and undertook specialist turning tasks. Part of a collection of nearly 900 items, including a lathe, cutting tools, hand tools, products, workshop fittings, office equipment, portraits, and an accounts ledger.

Physical Description

Rectangular block of two pieces of wood, one screwed on top. There is a hole through the block from top to bottom. Within this hole is a blade - a cutter held in place between the two pieces screwed together. The inside wall of the hole has a spiral shape cut into it. There is a turn screw at the bottom. Found in Area E3 of workshop.

More Information