Screw box for cutting wooden threads. Made by A. Schafer, circa 1900-1940.

Used in the woodturning business of Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, 1970-1990, and previously in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. The business made a wide range of wooden products, including tables and architectural mouldings, and undertook specialist turning tasks. Part of a collection of nearly 900 items, including a lathe, cutting tools, hand tools, products, workshop fittings, office equipment, portraits, and an accounts ledger.

Physical Description

Rectangular block with a handle at either end. Through the centre there is a hole containing a cutting blade which is held in place by the top third of the rectangle which is actually a separate piece screwed on. The walls of the hole are cut in a spiral. There is a turn screw at the bottom. Found in Area E3 of workshop.

More Information