An electro-convulsive therapy machine circa 1940 used by Dr. A.Jeffrey in a mental health hospital in Victoria, Australia. In 1949, Dr Jeffrey was practising at Aradale, Ararat. He had moved to Armadale by 1951. See relevant issues of the Register of Medical Practitioners. ECT was used in the treatment of patients in mental health hospitals.

Physical Description

Electro-convulsive therapy machine, in a square, wooden box covered with a cloth material. Box is resting on two strips of sponge rubber and has an electrical cord attached to back. On top of the box are the following: a timer, 5 sockets, 1 light bulb and main switch. Electrical cord attached to socket has a divided end with two metal holders.


Example of ECT equipment used in mentall health hospitals in Victoria Australia

More Information