ECT or electro-convulsive therapy machine used in psychiatric hospital in Victoria Australia, circa 1940. Made: Ectron Ltd Baldock, Hertfordshire, U.K., circa 1940

Physical Description

Electroconvulsant apparatus is a black-coated oblong box with rounded edges on top. It has a plastic rounded handle in centre on top. There are two light bulbs each side, red and white main power switch and metal push-button. An electrical cord is attached to one side, the other side has a power point with two prongs, but has part missing. This is a simple E.C.T. machine where the operator adjusted the current and the time; it could not measure pulse waves, and was bi-lateral. It probably dates from the beginning of the Second World War.


Example of treatments administered at psychiatric hospitals in Victoria Australia

More Information