Shallow square tin with centre handle (broken on one end). Used for holding paint to dip cattle brands. Used at Newmarket Saleyards.

Prior to World War II, tar was used to brand cattle. After 1940, paint was more commonly used. A branding pot was often found hanging at the lane gateway and stock would be marked as it passed. After the Stock Agents sold the cattle, the drovers or yardmen would be waiting to mark the sold stock. If the branding pot became too built up with paint, the drovers would put the tin on the fire and burn out the leftover paint remnants. Agents were sometimes identified by different colours. Some Newmarket workers recollect that Stock Agents were represented by the following colours - Elders: Light Blue; Australian Estates: Silver; Gippsland and Northern Co-Operative: Dark Green; and Fairbairn: Red.

Physical Description

Shallow square tin with centre handle (broken on one end). Red paint is set in tin.

More Information