Braille barometer manufactured by Short & Mason, London. Used by the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind.

Braille was first developed in 1825 by Louis Braille, a blind Frenchman. He spent several years refining his system and in 1829 published 'Method of Writing Words, Music, and Plain Songs by Means of Dots, for Use by the Blind and Arranged for Them.' In 1854 braille was adopted as the official communications system for blind people in France and in 1870 for Britain.

Physical Description

Plated tin barometer with Braille markings. The sides, back and the arrow indicator are black. Round face, with handle for hanging on the wall. The words "Change/Rain/Fair" are etched into the metal on the face of the barometer; also the numbers 29/30/28/31/27/26, along with raised Braille symbols next to the numbers.

More Information