Turning tool handle made by Adolph Bruhn & Son, circa 1950-1980. It was found in a pile of woodturned objects in Area B2 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.

Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.

Physical Description

Tool handle made of gold-coloured varnished wood. Lower half of handle is oct- agonal in shape and is topped by a rounded top half. A thin disc-shaped form separates the top and the bottom half of the handle. A brass ferrule surrounds the wooden neck of the tool on top of the body. A hole is present in the centre of the neck for holding the functional tool end.

More Information