Alternative Name(s): Paring Knife, Skiving Knife

Doling Knifes manufactured by Blanchard circa 1930s. Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, where it was found in the large downstairs storeroom in a box with some head knives. This type of knife is used mainly for paring down edges of leather (removing unwanted thickness), often prior to gluing and stitching.

Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.

Physical Description

Four doling knives wrapped in scraps of cotton knit material.

More Information