Summary

Green suede book end probably manufactured by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, circa 1930s. It was found in the small downstairs storeroom at the factory. It may have been made to celebrate centenary of City of Melbourne in 1934.

Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.

Physical Description

Bookend covered with green suede, with black leather square on upright, ornamented with metal badge showing coat of arms of City of Melbourne. Bookend lined with brown leather.

More Information