Plaque from the Methodist Babies' Home that was inaugurated in 1925 and opened in 1929. Money was raised for the home by the young people who were members of the Methodist Church. This plaque commemorates the donations made by Methodists around Victoria for the support of the home and the endowment of cots and beds.

The Methodist Babies Home was opened in 1929. Babies, especially from the inner-city slums, were referred to the home through the Children's Court. From 1929 until the early 1970s the Home's role was to care for babies awaiting adoption. From 1974, the direct care of neglected babies was phased out in favour of family-unit-based support services.

Physical Description

Rectangular metal plaque with debossed lettering. Two attachment holes pierced along lower edge near corners.

More Information