Made: Public Works Dept of Victoria, circa 1892. Used at Ballarat Mental Hospital, Victoria, Australia, circa 1892 - 1950

Physical Description

Wooden bench with reversible back-rest. Back has single horizontal beam rounded on top at mid-back height and flat ends carved in a shape similar to celtic cross. Each has thick metal rod inset up middle and extending 25cm below bottom of end. Lower end of rod is screwed to inside of bench leg, allowing back-rest to be swung to either side of bench. There are slits in each end of seat to allow movement of rod. Seat is a plain thick slab with rounded edges. The 2 legs are flat pieces with sides carved in, mildly waisted, stepped shape.

More Information