Framed shield of Hans Irvine, Great Western

Inscription: "By Special Appointment to H.M. King Edward VII, Hans Irvine, Great Western".

"The Irvine Wine Collection was acquired by Museum Victoria in 1989. It represents the history of the Great Western Vineyard and the achievements of Hans William Henry Irvine, vigneron and politician, from 1888 until 1922. It comprises 130 items ranging from publications, marketing items, packaging materials, wine labels, award medals, ceramics, illuminated address, commemorative trowel, trophy plaques, wine makers tools, and silverware."

Physical Description

Piece of shield shaped glass with bevelled edges with gold leaf border, inscriptions and Royal coat of arms. Mounted with 6 hooks on brown velvet backing and framed underglass, with gold slip and stained wooden frame. A second similar framed shield was lent to Mitchelton Winery in the late 1980s. It was returned 03/1996 and is yet to be registered.

More Information