Black and white photograph of a group of Royal Australian Air Force personnel at the Exhibition Building, taken by the donor, Malcolm McLeod, while an electrician stationed at the Exhibition Building in 1941 and attending the Melbourne Technical College.

The formal wartime occupation of the Exhibition Building began in October 1940, when the RAAF officially requisitioned the Building under the National Security (General) Regulations) for use as a barracks and training facility. After some minor modifications and partitioning in January 1941, No.1 School of Technical Training was relocated from West Melbourne Technical School and occupied the Building and Carlton Gardens between 1941-1946 under the command of Wing Commander RG Francis (17 March 1941 - 8 October 1945) and Flight Lieutenant BH Pascoe (13 October - 22 November 1945). The RAAF occupation of the site continued after the war with No.1 Personnel Depot, under the command of Wing Comander RK Bazley (27 October 1945 - 8 October 1946), being based at the Building.

Description of Content

Black and white photograph of a group of RAAF servicemen in the grounds of the Exhibition Building where they were stationed during World War II. The men are in uniform and formally posed in three rows. The first row are sitting, arms crossed on knees. The second row are standing and the back row are standing on a bench.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph.

More Information