Summary

Letter to Howard from Nell on one page of lined paper with four emblems: ACF, RSL, THE SALVATION ARMY, and Y.M.C.A., dated January 18 1942. Nell is pleased he has started his course and how long will it take to complete. Nell has caught another galah and if no one claims it she will give it to Mrs Will Hawkins as she does not want two. She took the children to church and hopes Howard goes to church too. Will send him a tin of biscuits. She signs off 'We are all well here Dear / so don't worry. & chin up and smile. Nell.'

The letter was found under the floorboards of the balcony level of the Gallery, Great Hall, Royal Exhibition Building, when replaced in 1989 as part of a restoration program. Many other items dating back to the 1940s were also found, providing an insight into the lifestyle and interests of RAAF personnel stationed in the building.

The letter was probably addressed to Howard Frederick Kellehear, service no. 60818 (his number appears at the top left of the letter). He enlisted in World War II in 9 September 1941 in Wingham, Sydney, at the age of 36, and attained the rank of Leading Aircraftman. He was discharged 13 March 1945.

The formal wartime occupation of the Exhibition Building began in October 1940, when it was requisitioned for the RAAF under the National Security (General) Regulations. Partitioning work began in January 1941, and on 15 March the RAAF no.1 School of Technical Training was moved to the Exhibition Building from West Melbourne Technical School. Before long the Great Hall and surrounding areas were crowded with Air Force personnel. About 500 to 700 men lived there for varying periods of time; numbers peaked in 1942, when about 2000 personnel were accommodated. The central part of the building was a mess hall. The arena was occupied by a kitchen, laundry blocks, a storeroom and a playing field. The southern and eastern sides of the building were used for parades and drilling. The RAAF remained in control of the Exhibition Building until October 1946. (David Dunstan,1996, Victorian Icon)

Physical Description

Hand-written letter comprising one page of lined paper with four red emblems printed along top edge in red and blue: ACF, RSL, THE SALVATION ARMY, and Y.M.C.A. Paper is creased, stained and has minor losses. It is somewhat browned.

More Information