This is a sepia postcard of the eastern facade of the Exhibition Building, showing the French Fountain and circular garden, circa 1910. The postcard, which is unused, was printed by Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd, Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane as part of Series M 3092.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A sepia coloured photograph of the Nicholson Street entrance to the Exhibition Building showing the French fountain, statues, shrubbery, lamp posts, people and the Eastern Annexe. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information