Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the southern facade and lake circa 1902. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Great Britain by Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building, with shrubbery and the lake in the foreground. The building is reflected in the waters of the lake. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information