This is a colour postcard showing a black & white view of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building circa 1908. The postcard was sent from Lizzie of Armadale to Miss S Evans of Sale and is postmarked St Kilda, 1908. The card was printed in Germany as part of the Melbourne 'Stile' Series published by Birn Brothers, England.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A postcard consisting of a black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building at the top and a colour picture of a man and woman embracing by a river at the bottom. There is a comic inscription beneath the illustration. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten inscription and address & an orange Victorian postage stamp.

More Information