This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the dome of the building through the Carlton Gardens, circa 1909. The postcard, which was sent as a Christmas greeting in 1909, was published by WT Pater.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph showing the dome of the Exhibition Building through the Carlton Gardens. The view is looking along a pathway that is fenced on either side. There is a white statue in the centre of the image. The photograph is surrounded by a wide white border. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten address in black ink. In the centre is the trademark of WT Pater.

More Information