This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the eastern facade and southern driveway, circa 1914. The postcard was sent to Mrs Keating of Manchester, Lancashire, as a Christmas and New Year greeting. The card was printed in Saxony as part of the REM Series.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the eastern facade of the Exhibition Building with the southern drive to the left of the image. The card is tinted blue, green and yellow. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten inscription and address. In the upper right hand corner there is a red, one penny postage stamp.

More Information