This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building with gardens in the foreground, circa 1910. The postcard, which was made by the Marlborough Art Co., was sent to Mr Will Witten aboard the HMS Challenger while it was docked at the Town Pier, Port Melbourne. The card is postmarked 27 June 1910.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building taken from south west, with garden beds, trees and an unmade pathway in the foreground. The photograph is set within an oval shape and surrounded by a white border. Part of the border and picture are embossed. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten message & address and an orange Victorian postage stamp postmarked Melbourne, 27 June 1910.

More Information