Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade, lake and dome from the south east circa 1909. The postcard, which was sent from Sydney to Mr Sol Seches in Tennessee, USA, was made by Harding & Billing, Sydney & Auckland. The card is postmarked 3 April 1909.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building bordered by a thick greenish grey frame that is suggestive of a wooden frame. On the reverse, in the middle at the bottom, are the initials HB on an artist's palette. This is the trademark of Harding & Billing, publishers, used in this format from approximately 1904. On the reverse there is a handwritten inscription and address in black ink and green and red New South Wales postage stamps.

More Information