This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade, lake and dome from the south east circa 1905. The postcard, which has a handwritten inscription on the reverse and is addressed to Miss P Bowrey, Leopold, was made by Harding & Billing, Sydney & Auckland.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building bordered by a thick decorative grey frame that resembles textured paper and is embossed. The photograph shows the Exhibition Building from the south east with trees and the lake in the foreground. On the reverse are the initials HB on an artist's palette surrounded by a laurel wreath. This is the trademark of Harding & Billing, publishers, used in this format from approximately 1904. There is also a handwritten inscription and address in black ink, but no stamp or date.

More Information