Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade, lake and dome from the south east circa 1909. The postcard, which is unused, was made by Harding & Billing, Sydney & Auckland.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building bordered by a thick greenish grey frame that is suggestive of a wooden frame. On the reverse, in the bottom left hand corner, are the initials HB on an artist's palette. This is the trademark of Harding & Billing, publishers, used in this format from approximately 1904. On the reverse there is a handwritten inscription in black ink. There is no stamp or date.

More Information