Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building in 1905. The postcard was sent from Mr Edwards in Melbourne to Miss A Clark, 182 Paddington St, Paddington, Sydney on 8 November 1905. It was printed as part of Cole's Sunny Australia Series.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building and grounds viewed from south west with an unmade pathway in the foreground. The sky in the photograph has been tinted blue. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten inscription and address. In the upper right hand corner there is an orange Victorian postage stamp postmarked Melbourne, 8 November 1905. The card is from the Cole's Sunny Australia Series, published by EW Cole in 1905.

More Information