This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view through the garden of the south west corner of the building circa 1906. The postcard, which was printed in Germany, was sent to Miss G Easton, 11 Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, Scotland and is postmarked 28 August 1906.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building. In the foreground there are garden beds, shrubs and an unmade pathway. The sky is tinted blue and pink. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten address in black ink with an orange Victorian postage stamp stuck upside down on the card. It is postmarked Melbourne, 29 August 1906.

More Information