This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building with garden beds and an unmade pathway in the foreground, circa 1905. The postcard, which has a handwritten inscription on the reverse, features a large 'V' on the front possibly referring to Victoria.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour photograph of the Exhibition Building showing a view from south west with an unmade path and garden beds in the foreground. A large 'V' is stamped over the picture and decorated with a line of silver glitter. On the reverse of the card there is space to write an address and to place a stamp. There is a brief handwritten inscription in black ink but no date or stamp.

More Information