This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view through the garden of the south west corner of the building circa 1906. The postcard, which was made in Germany, was sent to Bertha Yoxou of Stawell West. The card is postmarked 30 May 1907.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building from south west with garden beds in the foreground. On the reverse there is a handwritten address and message in blue ink. In the upper right hand corner there is an orange Victorian postage stamp postmarked Ararat, 30 May 1907.

More Information