Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the dome and part of the southern facade of the building with the lake and gardens in the foreground circa 1905. The postcard is addressed to Mrs Laughton, 105 Commercial Road, Footscray, but is not dated.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building showing the dome and part of the southern side of building with the lake and garden in the foreground. The view looks across the lake towards the building. The building is partly obscured by trees and garden. On the reverse side there is a handwritten message in black ink. There is no stamp or date.

More Information