Summary

This is a black & white postcard of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building featuring an advertisement for the Aquarium in 1900. The postcard has a small black and white photograph surrounded by an extensive handwritten inscription written aboard RMSS Victoria while docked in Melbourne. The inscription is dated 12 Dec 1900. The postcard was sent to Mrs AB Youngman, Buxton House, Earls Colue (?), Essex, England.

The Aquarium opened in the north eastern annexe of the Exhibition Building on 24 February 1885.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building showing the lake and gardens. The photograph, which takes up approximately one third of the obverse, is surrounded by an extensive handwritten message in black ink. On the reverse of the postcard is a handwritten address with a Sydney postmark dated 17 December 1900.

More Information