This is a black & white postcard showing the south west facade and gardens of the Exhibition Building, circa 1900. The postcard, which is unused, features a fold out section on the front that contains further views of Melbourne and Victoria. Photographs in the booklet include a birdseye view of Melbourne, Collins St, Princes Bridge, Parliament House, St Kilda Rd, St Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne GPO, Torloo Bay - Lake Tyers, River Yarra and Aboriginals at Lake Tyers.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building with an unmade pathway, shrubs and gardens in the foreground and the Hochgurtel Fountain to the right hand side of the image. The photograph is mounted on heavy cardboard. The centre of the photograph is hinged on the left side and opens out to reveal 12 black & white photographs of Melbourne and Victoria. The book is secured with a bronze coloured clasp on the right. On the reverse of the card there is space to write an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information