Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building with garden beds and paths in the foreground, circa 1909. The Hochgurtel Fountain can be seen to the right of the photograph. The postcard, which has a brief handwritten inscription on the reverse, was made as a Christmas card by WT Pater.

The Exhibition Building and fountain were built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. The fountain was designed by Josef Hochgurtel, a young German artist from Cologne. It is Hochgurtel's only known piece of work in Australia.

Physical Description

A colour tinted postcard of the Exhibition Building showing a view from south west. An unmade pathway and shrubs are in the foreground and the Hochgurtel Fountain is to the right of the photograph. A wide white border surrounds the image, which is tinted in pink, green and blue. On the reverse of the postcard there is a brief handwritten inscription in black ink. There is no date or postage stamp.

More Information