Summary

This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the dome and part of the southern facade with the lake in the foreground, circa 1907. The postcard, which has a handwritten inscription in French on the reverse, was made by The Standard Post Card Co., Melbourne. The card was sent to Miss G Moss, Trevlyn, Woollahra, Sydney and is postmarked 9 November 1907.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white, portrait orientation photograph of the Exhibition Building with the dome at the top of the image and the lake in the foreground. There are trees and shrubs on either side of the photograph. The corners of the photograph are rounded and the image is surrounded by a white border. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten inscription in French and a handwritten address in English. In the upper right hand corner there is an orange Victorian postage stamp.

More Information