Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building in 1913. The postcard was made in Australia by the Marlborough Art Company and was used as a Christmas card. It is dated 20 December 1913.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted view of the Exhibition Building and grounds from south west. The image is tinted in light pink, blue, green with darker green for the gardens and trees. The image is oval shaped and has a white border. In the upper right hand corner of the postcard there is a sketch of a koala in a tree. In the bottom right hand corner there is an outline of Australia with 'Greetings' written on it. There is a handwritten inscription and address on the reverse.

More Information