This is a colour tinted postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade with garden beds and an unmade pathway in the foreground, 1906. The postcard was sent to Mrs McGillvray, Tumut, New South Wales, and is postmarked 2 March 1906.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building with gardens and an unmade pathway in the foreground. The photograph is surrounded by a light blue tinted border and a white border. On the reverse of the card there is a handwritten inscription and address in black ink. In the upper right hand corner there is an orange Victorian postage stamp.

More Information