This is a colour tinted postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west facade with gardens and an unmade pathway in the foreground, 1904. The postcard was sent to Miss Arabella Jane Theresa Linklater, Point Farm House, Glenfield PO, Southern Line, and is postmarked 28 October 1904.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building with small areas of colour tinting coming from the windows and entrances to the building, depicting lights inside the building at night. There is a wide white border at the right of the photograph with a handwritten inscription. On the reverse of the postcard, there is a handwritten address in black ink, a one penny New South Wales postage stamp and a postmark.

More Information