Summary

This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west facade with gardens and an unmade pathway in the foreground, 1904. The postcard was sent to Mrs H Pederson, 922 North Horsman Street, Rockford Ill, America, and is postmarked 5 October 1904.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building with an unmade pathway and gardens in the foreground. There is a wide, white border at the left of the photograph with a handwritten inscription in black ink. In the upper right hand corner there is a black postmark. On the reverse of the postcard, there is a handwritten address in black ink and a one penny Victorian postage stamp.

More Information