This is a colour postcard of Carlton Gardens showing the Exhibition Building in the background, circa 1907. The postcard was sent to Mrs C Amery, Buckingham St, Richmond and is postmarked and dated 16 March 1907.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of Carlton Gardens showing a pathway between two large, fenced-in gardens. The dome of the Exhibition Building can be seen in the middle of the photograph. The image is tinted blue, yellow, pink & green with an orange tint on the horizon. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten inscription in black ink and an orange Victorian postage stamp.

More Information