This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view through the garden of the south west corner of the building circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Saxony as part of the V St M (VSM) Series.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building from the south west corner showing the garden and unmade path in the foreground. An annexe is visible to the south west of the building. The image is surrounded by a white border, with a title below. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information