Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade & Hochgurtel Fountain, circa 1906. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Prussia as part of the Victoria Stamp Market (VSM) Series.

The Exhibition Building and fountain were built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. The fountain was designed by Josef Hochgurtel, a young German artist from Cologne. It is Hochgurtel's only known piece of work in Australia.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west corner of the building and the Hochgurtel Fountain. The postcard is tinted green, cream and blue with the sky tinted yellow. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information