This is a black & white postcard of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Great Britain for Valentine & Sons Publishing Co.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building from the south east, with the lake in the foreground. The building is reflected in the lake. In the bottom right hand corner are the initials JV in a circle, denoting that this card is by Valentine & Sons publishers. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information