Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view of the lake and southern facade circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Great Britain as part of the Valentine's Series by Valentine & Sons' Publishing Co., Ltd, Glasgow.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade with the lake in the foreground. The sky is tinted blue and orange. In the bottom right hand corner are the initials JV in a circle and a series number. This is the trademark of Valentine & Sons, publishers. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information